- About Us
- What We Do
- Help a tiger
- SCT E-Shop
- About Tigers
- Contact Us
- Laohu Valley
Helpful Q&A about tigers
- How many different kinds of tigers are there? There were 9 sub-species of Tigers, 3 of which are extinct.
- Where do Tigers live? Found only in Asia within a variety of habitats:
- How do tigers hunt? They stalk their prey and by using their distinctive coat as camouflage and pounce at their targets when they are close enough.
- How many tigers are there in the wild today? In 1900 there were 100,000, but now less than 5000 tigers still roam the wild, in which 30 of them are South China Tigers.
- How big are tigers? The tiger is the largest of all cats and the Siberian is the largest of all tigers with record lengths of over 13ft (3.5m) and a maximum recorded weight of 854lbs (387kg).(The Largest Captive Siberian Tiger was 1025lbs). The Sumatran is the smallest tiger with a minimum length of 7ft (2.3m) and minimum weight of 165lbs (75kg)
- How long do tigers live?
- Do tigers have enemies, do other animals eat tigers? Only humans because Tigers lost their land to humans encroaching with farmland or killed for their fur. Tigers are recognized as apex predators and have no natural predators. They do not have natural predators, but they do have natural enemies, this include Bears, Rhinoceros, Elelphants, Gaurs, Buffalos, Leopards, Jackals, Crocodiles and other tigers etc.
- Why are tigers endangered? Poaching, Habitat Loss, Population fragmentation
- How many miles per hour can a tiger run? Considered neither fast nor slow, Tigers can sprint up to 35mph.
- How many cubs do tigers usually have? Litter size is 2-4 cubs although only 1 in 5 grow to maturity. Gestation is approximately 108 days
- Are tigers stronger than lions? And if they fight, who will win? Recent research indicates that the tiger is indeed stronger than the lion in terms of physical strength. Lions hunts in prides, so it would be in a group and the tigers as a solitary creature so it would be on its own. A Tiger is generally physically larger than a Lion. Most Experts would favour a Siberian and Bengal Tiger over an African Lion.
- Do Tigers purr? No, they do not purr but chuff.
- For the average tiger how much land area would a single tiger hunt in? The amount of land that a tiger uses to hunt in is based on how many animals there are to eat! In the lowland rain forests of Indonesia, researchers have estimated that Sumatran tigers hunt in an area of approximately 180 sq. km. Researchers tracking Siberian tigers in Russia, where there are fewer animals to eat, have estimated that the hunting range of a tiger in that area can be as much as 420 sq. km.
- Do tigers climb trees or just stay on the ground? Tigers enjoy climbing trees when they are young but as an adult their sheer size makes climbing difficult. Tigers love water and can swim several miles at a time. They are considered superb swimmers in the animal kingdom, and they also often hunt in water.
A century ago, the Bali, Javan and Caspian Tigers still exist, but now they are extinct.
Now only Siberian, Bengal, Sumatran, Indo-Chinese, Malayan(newly-discovered) and South China Tiger (Chinese) still exist on our planet
As long as they have access to cover, water and sufficient large ungulate prey species
- Tropical evergreen and deciduous forests of southern Asia
- Coniferous, scrub oak, and birch woodlands of Siberia
- Mangrove swamps of the Sunderbans
- Dry thorn forests of north-western India
- Tall grass jungles at the foot of Himalayas
10 to 15 years in the wild, and 15 to 20 years in captivity.